Searching for a Literary Agent

So I worked hard and finished my second manuscript. Now I have sent out all my query letters and made sure to follow all the different (but mostly the same) guidelines for each agent. It is hard to sit here and wait. I have already gotten several rejections, most read as if everyone used the same template. Agents don's seem to be very creative. I guess if they were they would be writers and not agents. In case you didn't know, "This industry is very subjective...". A few have shown to be a higher level of professionalism, while others make me question how this is even a successful profession at all.

I was more ready to face the on slot of rejections this time around. With my first novel, Leaving Standing Still, I was much less jaded. I knew for sure agents would be fighting over the chance to represent me. The reality of 100 rejections almost crushed my dream of being a writer completely. I took time off, focused on my day job and my family. Finally got back to it and wrote another. These rejections don't hurt as much. I know I am a good writer. No, I'm not writing YA or Erotica. Seems to be all people are looking for. They also seem to all want Women's Fiction written by women for women. Unfortunately I don't fall into that genera either. Still, I have submitted over 80 queries. Not all the rejections have come in yet. There could still be hope. Regardless, I will get this book published. I may have to self publish again, but if so, I am OK with that. I will just get my work out there and start another project.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts